Monday, August 3, 2009

We'll Make It...I Swear

July 25th: 11.89 miles ran, 2 hours 11 minutes 53 seconds, 11:05 minutes/mile

July 31st: 5.97 miles ran, 1 hour 1 minute, 10:20 minutes/mile

August 2nd: 12.98 miles ran (New Best!), 2 hours 32 minutes 37 seconds, 11:45 minutes/mile

Power Song for this Week's Runs: "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi. (Not to be confused with last week's "Like a Prayer")

Yesterday marked a significant step in my training process: I completed a half marathon (actually I was 0.12 miles short, but who's counting?). It was definitely not easy (as evidenced by the atrocious time I posted) but I finished it, nonetheless. About the eleventh mile, when I began to think very seriously that I was going to pass out on the sidewalk, I asked myself "Why oh why didn't I settle for running the half marathon?" After all, had I only opted for the half marathon I would be done training by now.

Half Marathon Version of Mary Marathoner


But alas, I committed myself to running the entire 26.2. The Whole Enchilada. The Full Monty. And after all, how would our world be different if others had chosen to give up halfway?

~Birds, animals, people, and the Sabbath would not have been created.

~Lewis and Clark would have never discovered the west, thereby denying us Hollywood, Disneyland, and John Wayne.

~*SPOILER ALERT* Harry Potter would have never defeated Lord Voldemort, once and for all. That's right. I went there.

He's Bringing Sexy Back

On the other hand:

~Amelia Earhart would still be alive.


~Brett Favre would be remembered for his football legacy, not his inability to "let it go".


~Jon and Kate would have only had 2 kids, no reality TV show, and probably a healthy, normal marriage.

Team Kate

There's something to be said for slacking,



Mary Marathoner

3 comments:

  1. love it!!! and I suggest putting "living on a prayer" on your ipod set for mile 22. granted you will technically be further than half way, your body will feel like you have just started:) you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MD-
    I am so excited for you! You are truly doing something that will make a difference not only in your life, but in the lives of those you touch (which we both know amounts to many!) I am living vicariously through you... and I pray for you all the time. God Bless and good luck!

    Jen Bedore Relph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this "we" you speak of? Is the dog marathoning with you?

    ReplyDelete